Maintaining your HVAC system can seem like a daunting task. However, it does not need to be confusing, frustrating or problematic. The most important thing to do is inspect and either clean or replace your filter each month. When the filter becomes clogged with dust, allergens and pollutants it will restrict the airflow causing the system to work harder.
Imagine what it would be like trying to breathe through a straw while jogging, this is the type of strain you want to prevent with your ac unit. The harder the system works, the more energy is required. This will shorten the lifespan of the system and increase your cost to operate the system.
Proper air conditioning maintenance can help your unit last decades. On the flip-side, a neglected air conditioner loses roughly 5% of its efficiency each year that it operates without upkeep. So that green machine you bought to stay cool could start to function like the most inefficient thing on the market, if you fail to perform regular air conditioning maintenance on it.
Perhaps the most important thing to do is to actually have your HVAC system inspected twice a year by a professional.
Don’t wait until it is hot and you need your A/C, getting an appointment in the peak of the season may take longer and will be costly. Be proactive and keep your HVAC system in top working order.
Here are some tips and tricks:
- Outside your home, the outdoor unit should be kept clean. Vacuum out any debris that may have fallen in or around the unit. If your coil requires a thorough cleaning allow a trained technician to do it.
- Always trim any bushes or trees around your outdoor unit and maintain two feet of clearance around the unit.
- Keep your coil clean inside the home as well. If your coils are not easy to get to, they may need to be cleaned by a professional.
- Check your condensate drain pans and clean them of any mold or growth. This should be killed using a 10:1 solution of bleach. 10 parts water to one part bleach as the strongest solution.
- Check your condensate drain lines outside to make sure they are clean and flow water freely without backing up.
- It is important to make sure lawn sprinklers are not spraying on the outdoor unit. This is especially important if you have well water. Untreated Well water will make the outdoor unit rust faster which is not covered under your warranty. Rinse the outside unit once a month to help maintain it’s cleanliness and proper operation with city water or a water system with a Water aerator and a softener. Do not use a hose and water to try to clean the interior of the unit. Cleaning the unit in this way can lead to serious risk of electrical shock and possible shorting of electrical components.
By keeping your unit operating at peak performance, you will recover any money invested in upkeep by lower repair costs and savings on your electric bill.
Please call us (or click here) at Air Service of Manasota to schedule a professional maintenance cleaning and seasonal tune up or inquire about our money saving maintenance contracts.